We sometimes find ourselves in a position where we are asked to speak (or give a speech) without any preparation…so what do we do?
Here are a couple of tips to help you deliver an inspirational speech and connect with your audience without having to take significant time out in planning and delivery:
- Establish an emotional connection with your audience which ties in with the subject matter
- Acquire a mental library of useful words and phrases that is suited to the occasion.
- Take a moment to plan, have a main theme to develop your talk on, establish how you can bring in the other discussion points based on this central theme.
- Take care on your use of language – suit your speech to the occasion and choose words that will fit the occasion and mood of your audience/subject.
- Stay cool and calm – speak slowly and calmly is a deliberate tactic to generate the affect the speaker is looking to create with his audience
These suggestions will get you started in delivering a ‘polished and professional’ impromptu speech without any preparation.
There are experienced members at the toastmasters club who can provide further assistance in this important area. Most importantly, the club provides a regular sessions for members to practice their impromptu speaking skills.